Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Perfume Wars

     The other day while Gatlin was out with Daddy I decided to leave Draiman with his Tia Tori while I jumped in the shower real quick. (For those who don't know, Tia means Aunt in Spanish) She had already picked him up and was playing with him so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get a quick shower. Everything was fine until the very end. As I turned off the water I could hear Draiman fussing.
     Usually I prefer to put on some body lotion as soon as I get out of the shower but this time I figured I was probably going to have to skip it. I called out to Tia to see if Draiman was super fussy or if I had time to slather on some lotion really quick. Tori said he'd be fine and to go ahead and put on some lotion. Meanwhile she held him close to the door so that I could talk to him. As I continued talking to him through the door he seemed to calm down some just from hearing my voice. Once I finished I came out for the usual "Mommy to the rescue" and took Draiman from Tia so that he would settle down.
    Well lets just say that things did not work out according to plan at all. Once I took him he seemed like he was going to calm down at first but then suddenly he started crying even worse then before. In fact he got so upset that he was nearly full on screaming at this point. So my next thought was that he was all worked up and probably hungry so I should go ahead and nurse him. I then sat down to nurse him and that just made it all that much worse. He just started screaming even worse at this point and when my little guy gets upset like this he is very difficult to get to calm down.
     Once Daddy got home I had him take Draiman and I took Gatty who was also upset because he had just been to the hospital for blood work. There was a lot of crying at this point. Draiman seemed to calm down for Daddy but he still seemed to be hungry. Since he had calmed down I tried to take him back to nurse and once again he started screaming. This happened several times before I finally had to just put him in his bassinet and let him scream because nothing I did worked and Daddy had to leave for work.
     Finally I told Tori to watch them while I headed up stairs to change. This whole time the only thing I could figure that was upsetting Draiman so much was my perfumed lotion. I usually put on JLO Live lotion and this time I had used JLO Glow so maybe just maybe this perfume was upsetting him. You know they say that babies have a super keen sense of smell (the lotion was strongly scented) and are able to smell their mother, well this time his mother must have smelled bad to him I guess. So I quickly aired out so to speak, changed my shirt, and washed my hands before picking him up again. Then just in case that wasn't the only thing bothering him I switched sides to try nursing him on. Well what do you know, it worked like a charm. Little guy finally started to nurse and then he calmed down and fell asleep. So for future reference I better go easy on the perfumed lotion or at least stick with the same scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment