Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Round 1: Gatty for the Win!

     What is a mother to do? I swear I try so hard to do right by my boys and it never fails that something is amiss. Last night I found out the results of Gatlin's last blood test and it turns out that he is very anemic. The doctor said that it is possible that he's just very low on iron right now and that we may be able to get this under control but it also may be that Gatty has a blood disease which is going to cause him problems for the rest of his life with anemia. So some how I have to find a way to get my very picky eater to take in more iron so that we can see if we can fix this problem. Of course the doctor is also prescribing iron supplements for him as well.
     It just so happened that I was actually at the grocery store last night when the doctor called me back so I was able to buy several different things to try to get him to eat a little better. Today was the first full day of putting things to the test and let me just say that this round went to Gatty. Out of everything that I tried to get him to eat I only succeeded with the Pediasure (that was a good win) and some spanish rice. Most everything else went to straight to the dogs. I should've know as this is always the case, but if I hadn't figured it out by now ... this is going to be a long battle.
     It's hard enough to get him to try new things and eat as it is, but the bigger problem now is that there aren't a whole lot of things that are a good source of iron. Rather I should say there aren't many things that he will eat that are a good source of iron. The one thing that we have in the house that is the best source of iron and shouldn't be too bad to get him to eat is MultiGrain Cheerios. They actually have 100% DV of iron, but do you think he would eat them? NOPE!! Somehow I've got to trick him into eating them. For my first attempt I tried mixing them in with his yogurt (he LOVES yogurt) but that was a complete fail. He did eat the yogurt but he pulled every Cheerio out of his mouth and threw it on the floor! I hope I have better luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment