Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Good News!

     A little over a month ago we found out that Gatlin was very anemic and we had to start giving him iron drops twice a day. The doctor told us that after about 6 weeks he would do another blood test to see where things stood. The hope was that with the help of iron drops things would improve greatly and that eventually we could get him off of the iron drops. The fear was that it could turn out that Gatty had a blood disorder which would cause him to have problems with anemia for the rest of his life.
     Well yesterday was his blood test and today they called saying that things have improved a lot! I can not tell you how happy I am to hear this news. I just feel this amazing wave of both hope and relief. They said that we will continue in this course and then do another blood test June. If everything goes well for that test we may be able to take him off of the drops. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to improve for my baby.
     This has been a little rough for us because Gatlin is a very picky eater and it is hard to get him to eat in general much less foods that are high in iron. I have done my best to keep offering him different types of food to get him better nutrition but every day is still a struggle. To help keep things balanced we have been giving him a bottle of pediasure a day and I've also begun adding Ovaltine to some of his milk. Ovaltine has a lot of different vitamins and minerals and there is even 15% iron per serving. I figure at this point anything I can get him to take is worth a try. Do you have any suggestions for me? I'd love to hear them if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment