Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recycle Baby

     Although we are not the best at it, we do try to do our part around here to help the environment. I am a firm believer that even if you only make a few changes towards being more eco-friendly you can still make a big impact. With that we have been gradually making changes at home to try to be more eco-friendly in our everyday living. We have tons of reusable bags, though I constantly forget to take them into the store with me. We save all plastic grocery bags (when I forget to bring my reusable ones) to be recycled. I have switched to mostly homemade eco-friendly cleaning products and of course we recycle plastic, glass, aluminum, cardboard, etc.
     I really think we are doing a good thing by implementing all of these things into our daily routine. Though like anything else there can be some drawbacks so to speak. For us it's the fact that Gatty won't stay out of the recyclables. This child loves to play with plastic pop bottles and cardboard more than any of his toys. We have bins to keep all of our recyclables but he is constantly taking everything out of the bin and dragging it all over the house. I swear my house looks like we just throw trash everywhere. Every time we think we've found a better place to store things he just finds another way to get to them.
     Sometimes this just drives me crazy, but I will stand my ground and continue recycling. It would be so much easier just to throw it all in the trash, but I will not give up. It is important to me to teach my children eco-friendly habits. Right now Gatty likes to destroy and create messes but one day he will get better at putting things away. As he gets older I will explain to him why we save all this "trash." One day he will learn the importance of recycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment